Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another interest...

Some Small-bore Stuff...

177 caliber lead pellets...

So, in all this blogging for the last few years, I've never once mentioned that I have a pretty good interest in cool air rifles. I've owned two for years. I don't do expensive or fancy guns either. All they have to do for me is shoot fairly fast and hit pretty hard, depending on the lead you're throwin' and the FPS (feet per second) of the air rifle itself.

The ammo...

The caliber of the pellets shown in the photo above is 177 but I also have a 22 caliber rig as well. It shoots quite a bit HARDER than the 177 CrosMan and propels a heavier chunk of lead to boot. That awesome little single pump, is used mostly as a small game hunting unit, to fill the stew pot, when I feel so inclined, to add a little meat to my wild food harvesting. :-)

You'll notice the different types of pellets in this shot. I have all told about 19 or 20 different types or styles, by a good number of manufacturers. There's domed and pointed and hollow-pointed and flat, head shapes, and there are grooved and un-grooved skirts and the ones in the red box even have a plastic skirt and a steel head. Some pellets are definitely WAY better than others. Then too, some pellets are so poor, that they tumble every time you fire them. Tumbling pellets are NOT accurate pellets, as you may already know. :-( They need to spin, which is caused by the rifled barrel of the air-gun,in order to maintain a straight, stable trajectory and stay facing forward throughout their flight. :-)

Anyone else out there use an air rifle, or know someone who does? :-)

I taught both of my beloved children at a very early age, to know about air-guns. We used to hang aluminum pop cans up by their pull-tabs, on branches of shrubs and both kids could easily hit them every time up to about 40 or 50 feet. Now THAT teaches them more hand/eye co-ordination, than yer average video game. Besides, look @ ALL the other Cool related stuff they get to learn about and experience while out there. :-) Like safe gun handling, first and foremost. Learning how to judge wind direction and velocity. How 'bout, what kinds of trees and shrubs are we hangin' these recylable cans on? What kind of plant is that, that's twining it's way up and around the tree we're using to set up our shooting gallery? :-) SO many excellent things out there for my (Your) precious children to become wrapped up in, for good results. Not like in the city, all Rapped up in head-banger noise and gamed-out into total non-reality mode...

I've never owned a high-power rifle. I probably never will. Seems to me that low-powered lead pushers are about all I've ever needed and will ever need. :-) Of course, if the SHTF, I still have my trusty little 410 single shot and a belt full of mixed shells and a slug or three, to boot. ;-) (wink)

later,

No comments: